World champ has ‘gold vision’ again
By AFP – June 27, 2020 @ 7:02am
TOKYO: JAPAN’S badminton king Kento Momota said yesterday he had completely recovered from the eye injury caused by a car accident and vowed to bring home the gold at the postponed Tokyo Games.
“I can see without any problem while I’m playing,” the World No 1, who underwent surgery for an eye socket fracture in February after the car crash, told reporters.
“I’ve been able to give 100 per cent in practice,” he added.
The accident, which happened hours after the 25-year-old won the Malaysia Masters, killed the driver of the vehicle taking him to Kuala Lumpur International Airport.
“I want to do my best every day towards the goal” of winning the gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics, he said.
The coronavirus pandemic forced the postponement of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics by one year — unprecedented in peace-time.
The Games are now scheduled to begin on July 23 next year — though they will still be known as the 2020 Games — but medical experts have raised concerns the delay is not long enough to contain the virus and hold the event safely.
“I don’t want to make excuses, saying I cannot do well because this or that happened.”
Coronavirus did affect his training but he said he took the time to analyse his game and work on some weak points.
“I think I can improve my technique. I want to brush up my attacking skills.”
In March, Momota said his “spirit was almost broken” after the accident and that the recovery process had been difficult.
He also suffered cuts and heavy bruising after the vehicle he was travelling in collided with a lorry.– AFP
*A good news for world number to back into good shape gradually when the tour is restarted.
Leave a Reply